Thursday 12 February 2015

10 Minute Drawing Challenge

I came up with a rad little challenge this week. I decided to spend around 10 minutes each day drawing.

Why? Why not?

I used to draw a lot, particularly as a child but these days it's really just doodling. I don't tend to sit down with paper and pencils and make an active decision to draw. I usually just do it while I'm on the phone or waiting for computers to cooperate.

I decided that I would spend  that doodling time purposely drawing with the intention or goal of being quick and getting used to drawing again. I just wanted to see what I could do in a short space of time, without getting caught up in all the detail. This is hard for me; when I paint,  I can get really stuck on details that just don't need to be that way. Bloody Virgo.

So here's what I did in 10 minutes or so over the last 5 days. It's not mind-blowing but I'm sharing it anyway because I hope to improve, and sharing drives motivation. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't time myself strictly and some drawings may have been more than 10 minutes. I think you'll forgive me. I should also point out that these are really small -  about as wide as an iPhone and about half as long. They were drawn with whatever pencil was close by at the time on scrap A4 printer paper. Quality gear.

DAY 1

Hmmm...I'm  quite happy with this one: Miss 5

DAY 2
Mr 9 Right Up in Your Face

DAY 3
Stepson.  Husband is convinced it's JFK. Just what you want to hear!

DAY 4

Mr 9 asked me to draw with him and use his new water-colour pencils. Ummm...sure!

DAY 5

Is EPIC FAIL too harsh? So not appropriate for 10 min challenge.
So there you have it. Five days, five tiny little drawings that will end up on the kitchen bench with school notes, bills and small plastic toys that nobody wants to put away.

Should the 10 minute drawing challenge continue? Wanna join me?

Like my blog? Sign up to receive my posts via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment