Tuesday 26 August 2014

The 7 Best Books I've Read this Year

Reading is fabulous. I love it. I try to read everyday, even if it's only for 15 minutes before I fall asleep. (Unless I'm drunk, then I avoid it. Reading after too much vino is like a 2 hour ferry ride in viciously rough seas.)

I enjoy most of the books I read, usually because someone has recommended it to me or it's been chosen for book club with a lot of forethought. I have such a long list of recommended books to get through that I rarely find myself browsing for my next read. And my list is constantly growing as I don't get through books as quickly as I'd like to these days .

In fact, I'm often cramming at the last minute, trying to get a book finished before I meet with my book club friends. Granted, the meeting is often more about the wine, but still, we do at least touch on the book. But that pressure is also great for me as it has often forced myself to spend time reading that would have otherwise been spent cooking or cleaning. BORING.

So I just thought I'd share a list of the books I've enjoyed the most in the last 12 months. I'm not naming and shaming books I didn't like - I'm simply sharing the love for the ones I really did like - in no particular order.




Room by Emma Donoghue - A great voice tells the story of a boy who was born to a young woman held captive by a repulsive psycho. A distressing topic but told so well.



Me Before You by  Jojo Moyes - Get your tissues out. It sneaks up on you, but it's a love story through and through.



Two Brothers by Ben Elton - A well crafted story about two boys, one Jewish and one Aryan, during the rise of the Nazis. The first Ben Elton book I've read and I'll go back for more.



The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce - Loved this. It's a beautifully told story of  self discovery, love and the tragedies we live with.



Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas - I found this a little icky in places, I won't pretend I didn't, but it was wonderful insight into the life of an elite athlete.





The House of Memories by Monica McInerney - I just couldn't put this one down. Easy to read, engaging and lovely with enough humour to compensate for the tears.



The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - A strange story about mystery, confronting the past and living with secrets.

It was hard to choose, there were so many others that almost made my list. I guess these are the ones that really resonated with me. Right now I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King (a little late to the party there) and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (with my 8 year old). Both should be on my list!

What was your favourite book this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment